In this chapter, the author focuses on interracial marriage back in colonial time and although she makes a compelling statement on why it occurred, I'd like to discuss interracial marriage in the twenty-first century. Kathy explains that white men chased black women causing black men to chase Native Americans. In today's society this is also happening. The percentage of interracial U.S. marriages has gone up to 8.4 percent. Interracial marriages although are more common now are just as taboo as it was back then. In my neighborhood now, if an asian woman were to hold hands and be affectionate with someone of a different culture they would be the talk of the town and I would assume it was the same back then. It is a shock for us all to see people from different cultures coming together in an union and maybe that’s why so many adults are surprised to see it happen in the twenty-first century. I would admit that it shocks me too only because growing up in a community that was very homogenous, this addition of a new culture was an anomaly. However, I try my best to avoid thinking too much into it because what transpires among them is their business and to judge someone before knowing them is not the moral thing and I think it's something that has improved from the past where interracial couples were ostracized and outlawed.
No comments:
Post a Comment